Geophysical Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences (GC RAS) was established in 1992 with a status of research institute in accordance with the decision of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences as a result of the reorganization of the Interagency Geophysical Committee (IGC) of RAS established in 1958 by the Decree of the USSR Council of Ministers.
Alexei Gvishiani — GC RAS director.
The main goal of the Geophysical Center is to conduct basic and applied research in the field of geophysics and geoinformatics.
The key directions in the scientific activities are:
- Basic and applied research in geoinformatics.
- Informative provision of planetary geophysical research including carrying out functions of the World Data Center on Solid Earth Physics and World Data Center on
Solar-EarthPhysics as well as provision of updated communication technologies for storing, processing and distribution of data referring to the Earth sciences.
- Theoretical and field studies on the assessment of the stress condition of the Earth interior and analysis of the processes of rock destruction including seismicity.
- Complex studies of geophysical fields and processes in various Earth shells including ionosphere,
near-Earthspace and solar-terrestrialrelationships.
- Execution of functions of the base institution of the Russian National Geophysical Committee and Russian Committee of CODATA.
Director: Alexei Gvishiani, D.Sc., Corresponding Member of RAS
Adress: Molodezhnaya St. 3, 119296 Moscow, Russia
Tel.: (+7 495) 930 0546
Fax: (+7 495) 930 0546