Supported by Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development together with the University of Vancouver Island (Canada) the project “Establishing the foundation of spatial data infrastructure: ensuring base in the Ukrainian Government to support sustainable economic growth” has been opened in Ukraine. The Geographical Department of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and World Data Center for Geoinformatics and Sustainable Development of National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute” are the partners of the project.
The project aims at providing a framework for accelerated deployment of geospatial data infrastructure for the Government of Ukraine by implementing relevant training courses and civil servants training.
To achieve this aim, the project has the following objectives:
• Certified experts preparation for key state institutions in the sphere of GIS and SDI;
• Sharing the Canadian experience in the field of training and education in the SDI context;
• Educational work with the public about the necessity of IPA and prospects for its use;
• Development of teaching materials for training in IPA sphere;
• Creation of a training center in the universities of Ukraine;
• Support the development of SDI in Ukraine.
During the project realization the preparation of six Ukrainian trainers is planned, who will carry out studies in Ukraine, as well as the recruitment of 120 listeners from ministries and government authorities to study free.
The main beneficiaries of the project are:
• Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine;
• Ministry of Agriculture and Food of Ukraine;
• Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine;
• Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Utilities of Ukraine.
• Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine.
In project, it is planned to develop, adapt and translate six educational courses:
• Introduction to GIS and SDI;
• Database Management Systems GIS and SDI;
• Geospatial cadastral information system and IPA;
• Project management for GIS IPA;
• Spatial modeling and SDI software;
• Web-based GIS and SDI geoportal.
The educational program is based on distance teaching methods, that enables improving professional qualification effectively and without breaks during the work. All educational courses are based on using geoinformatic software ESRI. As a result of the successful study of each course, student receive a certificate of Vancouver Island University.
The project operates till the March, 2018.